Protect Your Pooch Against Mosquitoes

September is finally upon us and the kids are back to school but mosquito season is far from over. Not only are these pesty bugs an annoyance to us humans, but they also cause trouble for your pup. Regardless of how thick your dog’s fur is, they still get mosquito bites and they are often itchy and scratching like they have fleas.

Protecting yourself and your pets from mosquitoes is not always easy. Unlike those human-only households, those of us with pets have an extra consideration when it comes to choosing a yard spray. Using traditional chemical sprays and deterrents can wreak havoc on your dog’s system and inadvertently poison them, especially if you have a grass eater.

Choosing a nontoxic, natural mosquito repellent takes a little bit of planning but there are some really easy tips to keep these buzzing, biting bugs away in a natural, safe way.

Plants Mosquitoes Hate

One simple way to keep bugs away is to plant things they hate. Plant these strong scented plants throughout your garden and along the perimeter of your deck and yard.

Plants.jpg

 

  • Peppermint
  • Lavender
  • Citronella
  • Marigolds
  • Lemongrass
  • Rosemary

Homemade Yard Sprays

Concocting your own DIY yard spray is the easiest way to make sure the spray is pet safe and nontoxic. Follow these simple, tested recipes for a mosquito-free yard.

Paul Harvey Spray:

  • 3 Bottles stale and cheap beer
  • 3 c. Epsom salts
  • 16 oz blue mint mouthwash (any kind)

Mix beer and mouthwash, add in salts and stir until dissolved. Transfer to spray bottle and spray.

Onion Spray

  • 1 Onion chopped
  • 1 Gallon water

Mix chopped onion and water, cover and let sit in warm place for 3-5 days. Transfer to spray bottle and spray.

Lemon & Lavender Spray

  • 1/4 c. Squeezed lemon juice
  • 4 tbsp. Vanilla extract
  • 20 Drops Lavender essential oils
  • Water to fill up the rest of spray bottle
  • Optional: 20 drops Citronella essential oils

Mix all together thoroughly, transfer to spray bottle and spray.

Yard Maintenance 

Deter mosquitoes by removing their homes. Keep grass cut short and remove any free-standing, stagnant water to eliminate breeding grounds.

With a few simple tools your yard can be both mosquito free and pet safe. If you try these sprays let us know how they work for you and feel free to share any other natural mosquito repellent ideas!

Advertisements

Poison Prevention Week

Happy National Poison Prevention Week! I know, I know, this is not the most exciting or happy week to celebrate but it might be one of the most important. As reading, understanding, comprehending humans we know what is good and bad for our bodies. We know what is toxic, what will cause damage and make us sick. Our pets, however, rely on our judgement as pet parents to look after what they eat. From food to water to toys, our pets need us to help keep them safe from their inquisitive nature and desire to put everything in their mouths. You know, that pile of junk in the garage that’s oozing some unknown substance (don’t deny it, we all have one) or that tangle of cords behind the TV that is still in reach of the kitty.

Some of these things are common sense like giving chocolate or grapes to your pet but what about the pile in the garage? How often do you think about your pet getting into things around the house? How about the things we willingly give our pets that we might assume are good for them, like peanut butter? In honor of National Poison Prevention Week here is short list of common household items or foods that are severely poisonous to our pets.

  1. Lilies, Tulips and Daffodils

Lilies, especially Easter, Day, Tiger, Asiatic, Japanese and Show Lilies are all extremely toxic to pets. Consuming even two or three petals can result in kidney failure. Ingestion of any kind can be fatal to your feline. Even walking through fallen pollen and licking paws later is fatally dangerous.
lily

Tulips are major cause for concern for those of you who have pooches who love to dig. Tulip bulbs have a high concentration of toxicity to dogs and can cause tissue irritation, vomiting, excessive drooling or diarrhea.

Daffodils contain toxins in nearly all parts of the plant. The bulb, flower or plant can cause extreme abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmia and even respiratory depression. Ingestion of the crystals on the outer layer of the bulb can trigger further reactions in your pet.

If you even suspect your pet has ingested part of these plants, head immediately to the vet or call the Pet Poison Helpline. Check out a complete list of toxic plants here.

2.  Xylitol

This natural sugar sweetener is found in nearly every type of gum, candy, mint, yogurt, ice cream and even some peanut butter. Xylitol has been known to cause hypoglycemia and severe liver damage in dogs. What exactly does that mean? VCA Animal Hospital helped Sweets-Candy-wonderfulus out with an easy explanation, “Xylitol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, resulting in a potent release of insulin from the pancreas. This rapid release of insulin results in a rapid and profound decrease in the level of blood sugar (hypoglycemia), an effect that occurs within ten -60 minutes of eating the xylitol. Untreated, this hypoglycemia can be life threatening.” As little as five grams (.17 ounces!) can be life threatening. Check out this complete list of foods containing xylitol and be sure to read ingredient labels or consult this list before giving your pet people food!

  1. Over the Counter Medications

Advil, Aleve, Motrin and Tylenol are four of the most common medications pets can get their paws on. As little as one or two pills can cause intestinal and stomach ulcers and kidney failure. Tylenol is the most toxic according to the Pet Poison Helpline. tylenol “One regular strength tablet of acetaminophen (Tylenol) may cause damage to a cat’s red blood cells, limiting their ability to carry oxygen. In dogs, acetaminophen leads to liver failure and, in larger doses, red blood cell damage.” Toxicity affects from these medications often lasts five to six times longer in cats than dogs because cats do not have the proper proteins in their stomach to breakdown aspirin. Symptoms of poisoning may appear within ten – 30 minutes or be as delayed at 12-24 hours. Symptoms include: vomiting (potentially vomiting blood), diarrhea, dehydration, abdominal pain and pale gums.

If you suspect your pet may have gotten into your medicine cabinet, call the vet or Pet Poison Helpline immediately even if they do not show symptoms right away.

  1. Pesticides and Herbicides

It is spring time and that means getting those winter lawns looking green again. Killing off unwanted weeds, spraying off bees, mosquitoes and other unwanted pests is common this time of year.  However, your beautiful, bug free lawn might come at a pesticidesprice for your pets. Whether you or a lawn service are caring for your yard, read labels to find out what is and is not appropriate for pets. Dogs and outdoor cats have a tendency to eat grass and dig dirt. When grass has been chemically treated your pet is ingesting those same chemicals. Dog toys that get left in the yard during treatment get coated in toxins too. Dogs and cats often groom themselves and after a romp in the yard, chemicals and toxins stick to their paws and fur, which when grooming, get ingested and can cause damage. If you insist on getting your yard sprayed check out Pesticide Action Network’s Pesticide Database for toxicity and regulatory information.

Short, simple list right? It is hard to remember how each small thing can impact your pet’s well-being. Sending flowers for a birthday, anniversary or holiday never seemed so complicated before, but it is crucial to look up each plant before sending or receiving flowers into your home to make sure they are not toxic to your pet.

What happens if your dog hops onto the kitchen counter to swipe down that jar of Go Nuts peanut butter because it’s just ‘oh so tempting’?

Signs of poisoning can occur immediately or one day later depending on the amount consumed and which type of poison it is. Good indications that your pet has been poisoned are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive salvation
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Seizures
  • Stumbling as if drunk
  • Pale gums

If you notice any of these symptoms or even suspect your pet is poisoned call your vet IMMEDIATELY! They may instruct you to induce vomiting before bringing your pet in. If possible gather vomit or stool sample for your vet, this may help them determine the cause of poison. For this reason, it is critical to keep an unopened, up-to-date bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the house, as this is often used to induce vomiting in poison emergencies. Only administer hydrogen peroxide at the instruction of your vet!

If you cannot reach your vet call the Pet Poison Helpline 855-764-7661 for instructions. There is a $49 fee per phone call but this is nothing compared to saving your pet’s life.